Monday 22 April 2013

Farewell Malaysia, Hello Singapore ....


Well I got a brief look at a part of Malaysia people often overlook,  East Malaysia on the island of Borneo.  It is the second largest island next to Australia, split between three countries, and the area is huge.  I only saw a small part of it, both on the Indonesian and the Malay side.  It is interesting the differences that can be seen just in crossing the border between the two countries.  Not the vegetation, but the infrastructures in place, like roading conditions, water drainage, and building requirements.  The city of Kuching has a lovely riverside walkway created that certainly lifts the look of the city.  I looked along the roadside souvenir shops selling similar things in each, so it wasn’t hard to work out prices.  There are many food court style areas, with food carts and stands around the outside and a sitting area in the middle.  A meal averages $6.00 MYR, around $NZ 2.50 and drinks around $3.00 MYR.  While Indonesia loves their rice, Malaysian love their noodles!!! Damai Beach is a lovely place to stay and relax in, and if I had more time, I would have looked further into the state of Sarawak and neighbouring Sabah.  My hosts in Kuching for the last two nights were very welcoming and hospitable, thank you Frank and Belinda, and also to Kim for being my city tour guide!  Singapore, here I come ........

No comments:

Post a Comment